The Washington Nationals have made a huge splash in the free agent market by signing Jayson Werth to a seven-year worth $126 million. Here are some reactions from around the league.
- Ed Price, from MLB FanHouse wonders if Werth can handle being the centerpiece of a franchise, especially now that Adam Dunn will be swinging with the White Sox.
- Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is shocked by the terms of the deal, and he says so is the rest of baseball
- Tyler Kepner, from NYTimes.com reports that the Mets are happy with the deal, not because it takes a "Met Killer" out of their rivals line up but that it "Makes some of our contracts look pretty good."
- MLB.com's Bill Ladson thinks that "the Nationals are ready to win" with the signing of Werth.
- Adam Kilgore in his Nationals Journal says the Nationals have made "stunning improvement to their immediate chances at contention."
- John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com says the amount of years given to Werth is why he went to the "lowly Washington Nationals."
Here's our own Mike Rizzo speaking about the deal:
What is the reaction from the Nationals fan base?