Former Nationals first round pick Chris Marrero was promoted today to Double-A Harrisburg. Through 112 games this season Marrero is batting .287/.360/.464 with 16 homers and 65 RBI.
Marrero was drafted 15th overall by the Nationals in the 2005 draft as a raw but powerful high school batter. Due to injuries and swing adjustments the 21-year-olds progress has been slowed but it appears now he is on the right track.
Baseball America Prospect Rankings
2007 - #2 ranked for WAN
2008 - #27 ranked MLB
2008 - #1 ranked for WAN
2009 - #3 ranked for WAN
Lets look at Baseball America’s top 10 prospects for this year and see how they are doing:
- Jordan Zimmerman – solid rookie season, Tommy John surgery will have him out until 2011 however.
- Ross Detwiler – Breakthrough season. Reached the majors and had significant success, currently 1-2 with a 3.62 ERA in triple A.
- Chris Morrero- see above.
- Michael Burgess- Regressed this year, batting .239/.329/.436 with 19 homers in Potomac. Still only 20-years-old.
- Jack McGeary- Quit school to focus on baseball. Was terrible in Hagerstown but is showing promise once again in Vermont. MUST fix control problems 77K/71BB this year.
- Derek Norris- Mega-breakout-year. Batting .291/.407/.533 in Hagerstown with 23 homers and 76 RBI.
- Destin Hood- Young, dominated the Gulf Coast league with a .330/.388/.614 slot but is struggling in Vermont right now (.254/.337/.324).
- Adrian Nieto-Cuban defect with incredible story, Nieto is only batting .206/.318/.271 in the Gulf Coast League.
- J.P. Ramirez- considered a pure hitter, the 19-year-old Texan is batting .252/.298/.372.
- Esmailyn Gonzalez- Well funny thing about that…now Carlos Lugo, and four years older, he is playing in the Dominican Summer League as he cannot even get a visa. He is batting .271/.416/.410.